What are the side effects of insulin injection (regular or fast-acting)?

Insulin injection (regular or fast-acting) may cause allergic reactions, with symptoms that include: itching, a rash or hives and problems breathing. Side effects, such as swelling and redness at the injection site, skin changes and weight gain, can also occur. Since all insulin types work by reducing the blood sugar level, one side effect is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) if an amount in excess of the needs is administered. Symptoms of hypoglycemia include: sweating, dizziness, headaches, hunger, loss of coordination, mood swings, weakness, seizures and loss of consciousness. Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) could also occur if insufficient insulin is administered. Symptoms of hyperglycemia include: severe hunger or thirst, vision problems and weakness.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
Can exercise affect insulin absorption?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Strenuous exercise of muscles near an injection site can make the insulin act more rapidly than norm...
When is insulin needed to treat type 2 diabetes?
In people with type 2 diabetes the body is not making enough insulin or not using the insulin it mak...
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?