What are insulin doses for?

Before you got diabetes, your pancreas made the insulin you needed to keep your blood glucose in the normal range. The pancreas made a small amount of insulin throughout the day and night that was released in a steady stream. This is the basal insulin level. When you ate and your blood glucose level began to rise, the pancreas released a burst, or bolus, of insulin.

Insulin doses are planned to work as much like the body as possible. Rapid- and short-acting insulins are bolus insulins. Intermediate- and long-acting insulins are basal insulins. Most people with diabetes take both a basal and a bolus insulin.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
Does food and exercise affect my insulin therapy?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The food you eat and the exercise you get go hand-in-hand with your insulin therapy. To know how muc...
How can I prevent a high blood sugar after breakfast if I am on insulin?
To prevent high blood sugar after breakfast if you are on insulin, you should discuss with a nutriti...
Control Your Blood Sugar With Vinegar
Control Your Blood Sugar With Vinegar