What are the types of basal insulin for diabetes?

There are two types of basal insulin people with diabetes could take:

- Intermediate-acting insulin (NPH) takes 2 to 4 hours to reach the blood. It works hardest from 4 to 10 hours after your shot and lasts 10 to 16 hours.

- Long-acting insulin (Detemir or Glargine) starts working several hours after your shot. It stays in your blood for 20 to 24 hours.

Continue Learning about Insulin

how can i manage my insulin with my erratic schedule ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even in the most conventional job setting, there are probably going to be occasions when you’re eati...
what is mixed insulin for diabetes ?
When two different types of insulin for diabetes need to be taken at the same time, some people ...
what is intensive insulin therapy ?
Intensive insulin therapy is defined as taking three or more injections a day. But it’s more than ju...
what should i know about insulin before taking it ?
Insulin works by lowering blood sugar, and as a result, there is some risk of lowering your blood su...