Why is it a good idea to store the insulin I am using at room temperature?

One good reason to store the insulin you’re using at room temperature is that injecting cold insulin can make the injection feel more uncomfortable. If your insulin is cold, draw it up into the syringe, then warm it up by gently rolling it back and forth in your hands.

If you are traveling and keep your insulin stored in a cooler, make sure the insulin doesn’t freeze or come in contact with ice. Storing insulin at temperatures colder than 36 degrees Fahrenheit can cause it to lose potency and clump. Also avoid getting insulin too hot or leaving it in direct sunlight for too long. Insulin can spoil if it gets hotter than 86 degrees Fahrenheit. The general rule of thumb is, if the temperature is comfortable for you, your insulin will be okay, too.

Continue Learning about Insulin

Uncovering the Black Market for Insulin
Uncovering the Black Market for Insulin
The Internet has always been a place for people to connect with drug sellers. The Dr. Oz Show discovered that some of the drugs in highest demand aren...
When do I need to start insulin to control my diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Let’s start with one important idea: insulin is essential for survival, so if someone has type 1 dia...
How can I help prevent weight gain caused by insulin?
Insulin can stimulate your appetite, but you can prevent weight gain by eating more fruits, vege...
Why Should I Avoid Foods Made with White Flour?