How do I prepare a mixed insulin injection?

To prepare a mixed insulin injection, follow these steps:

• Be clear on the amounts of each insulin and the totalunits you want. To find the total units, add the units ofrapid- or short-acting insulin to the units of intermediate-or long-acting insulin.
  • Wash your hands.
  • For cloudy insulin, gently roll the bottle of insulin slowlybetween your palms to mix. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly.Do not use if it has clumps or particles in it.Shaking the bottle can cause air bubbles.
  • Draw air into the syringe equal to the intermediate- orlong-acting dose.
  • Hold the bottle steady on the table and put the needlethrough the rubber stopper. Inject the air into that bottle.Take out the needle without drawing up any insulin.
  • Draw air into the syringe equal to the dose of rapid- orshort-acting insulin and inject the air into the bottle ofrapid- or short-acting insulin.
  • With the needle still in the rapid- or short-acting insulinbottle, turn it upside down so that insulin covers the tipof the needle.
  •  Pull the correct amount of insulin into the syringe bypulling back on the plunger. Check for air bubbles in the syringe. If you see air bubbles, keep the bottle upsidedown and push the plunger up so the insulin goes backinto the bottle. If necessary, empty and refill until all airbubbles in the syringe are gone. Remove the syringe.
  • Insert the syringe into the bottle of intermediate- or long-actinginsulin. (You have already injected the rightamount of air into this bottle.)
  • Slowly pull the plunger down to draw in the right dosageof intermediate- or long-acting insulin. This will be thetotal units of the short- and intermediate- or long-actinginsulins.
  •  Do not return any extra insulin back to this bottle. It’snow a mixture. Double check for the correct totalamount of insulin. If incorrect, discard the insulin in thesyringe and start over.
  • Take the needle out of the bottle, recap, and lay thesyringe carefully on a table without it touching anything.

Continue Learning about Insulin

Uncovering the Black Market for Insulin
Uncovering the Black Market for Insulin
The Internet has always been a place for people to connect with drug sellers. The Dr. Oz Show discovered that some of the drugs in highest demand aren...
When should I start taking insulin if I have type 2 diabetes?
A recent study in the journal Diabetes Care suggests that starting type 2 diabetes patients on ins...
What happens if I miss a dose of insulin?
Using insulin exactly as instructed by your doctor is vital to maintaining healthy blood sugar level...
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?