How long should I take insulin if I have diabetes?

You'll need insulin for life if you have type 1 diabetes, but with type 2 diabetes, you can start on insulin and still be able to switch to other diabetes medications at another time. Although it's not common, some people may even stop medications altogether if they manage to get their blood sugar under control. This usually means losing weight and keeping it off, staying active, and following a healthy meal plan. If this results in a stable glucose range, you may be able to stop using insulin. Bear in mind, though, that it is not unusual for people with type 2 diabetes to make their best efforts and find they still need insulin. Still, it's worth establishing healthy habits—the benefits extend beyond glucose control.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
Do insulin injections hurt?
The needles used to inject insulin are very thin and relatively painless. Many people who take i...
Where should I store my insulin if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Although manufacturers recommend storing your insulin in the refrigerator, injecting cold insulin ca...
Control Your Blood Sugar With Vinegar
Control Your Blood Sugar With Vinegar