Can insulin cause low blood sugar?

If you take insulin, the concerns about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) are valid, but you can avoid this potential side effect of insulin by learning the symptoms of low blood sugar and treating it promptly. Ask your diabetes educator for tips to avoid low blood sugar when taking insulin.

If you have Diabetes, your doctor may prescribe insulin to help regulate your blood sugar. If you take more insulin than is necessary for the amount of blood sugar in your system, then it may result in hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. If a person with Diabetes exercises more than usual or eats less than usual, they may experience low blood sugar. This is why monitoring and logging blood sugar levels (with a blood glucose meter) is so important! It is also essential that you advise your doctor of any lifestyle changes to avoid episodes of low or high blood sugar.

Continue Learning about Insulin

Uncovering the Black Market for Insulin
Uncovering the Black Market for Insulin
The Internet has always been a place for people to connect with drug sellers. The Dr. Oz Show discovered that some of the drugs in highest demand aren...
Can someone using insulin drive commercial vehicles on intrastate routes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The federal government allows individual states to provide waivers to intrastate drivers who use ins...
What should I check before using insulin to treat my diabetes?
If you use regular, check for particles or discoloration of the insulin. If you use neutral protamin...
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?