Where do I attach the needle for my insulin pump?

Most people choose the abdomen for insulin delivery. This area is convenient to use and gives a reliable, uniform absorption of insulin. How you insert the insulin needle will be different for different brands of infusion sets. With some infusion sets, you use a needle to insert a catheter and then remove the needle, leaving the soft catheter under your skin. With other sets, you insert a short needle. Pumps are easy to remove temporarily because, after clamping the tubing, you can leave the infusion set (the needle and tubing or the soft Teflon catheter) in place. You reattach only the pump. Some infusion sets even have a quick-release feature.

Continue Learning about Insulin Pumps

What problems may affect my blood glucose while using an insulin pump?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here are some possible factors to consider:• The insulin: Is it expired? Has it been exposed to extr...
Where should I put my insulin pump when I take a bath or shower?
Showering and bathing are instances when you should know where to put your insulin pump. Although in...
What Is an Insulin Pump, and How Do I Know If I Need One?
Can an Artificial Pancreas Treat Type 1 Diabetes?