What are insulin pump supplies?

Insulin pumps give diabetic people a new way to manage their diabetes. They allow you to adjust exactly how much insulin medication you receive based on what you have eaten or done. With traditional insulin injections, you adjust your diet and activity around a specific dosage of insulin. However, insulin pumps allow you to adjust the amount of insulin you receive.

Insulin pumps are small electronic devices about the size of a deck of cards. They are usually clipped to a belt or placed in a pocket. Insulin pumps consist of three main parts: the actual pump, a tube, and a needle. The tube and needle are collectively known as an infusion set. Insulin medication is placed in a disposable holder inside of the pump. A typical pump will hold two to three days worth of insulin. A tube connects the pump to a special area on your body that was created during a previous surgery. Your insulin pump will deliver fast-acting insulin 24 hours a day.

Continue Learning about Insulin Pumps

How often will I need to replace my insulin infusion set?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Every 1 to 3 days, you’ll need to replace the insulin infusion set andmove to a new insertion site. ...
Is it safe to administer insulin and then go for a run without my pump?
Phil SoutherlandPhil Southerland
The bolus for the pre-run would be asking for trouble in my opinion. You’re extremely sensitive to i...
Can an Artificial Pancreas Treat Type 1 Diabetes?
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?