How should I use insulin pump supplies?

Do not attempt to use an insulin pump until you fully understand how to properly use it. You will undergo a minor surgery to create an area, usually on your abdomen, to connect the insulin pump to your body. Once the area is ready, you will need to use a needle to connect the insulin pump's thin, plastic tube to your body. When you have inserted the needle, you should cover the site with a bandage to protect it from injury. You will need to change the needle every few days.

You will need to refill your insulin pump with medication every two to three days. Your insulin medication is placed in a disposable holder inside of the pump.

Insulin pump supplies will administer your medications in three different ways. First, it will automatically give basal dosages to you 24 hours a day. You can program your pump to give different dosages at different times of day. For example, you may want your pump to deliver less insulin while you are sleeping. Second, you will manually tell your pump to deliver a bolus dosage of insulin before you eat; you can also administer another bolus dosage if you eat more food than you expected. Finally, supplementary or correction dosages are used if you find that your blood sugar levels are too low or too high.

Most people wear their insulin pumps clipped to their belt or placed in their pockets. At night, some people put their pump on a night stand. It is important that your insulin pump remain connected to your body for most of the day. Although insulin pumps are water resistant, you should not expose them to water. They may be removed when you bathe or swim.

Furthermore, it is important to test your blood sugar levels often to make sure they are not dangerously low or high.

Continue Learning about Insulin Pumps

What is the most common problem when using an insulin pump?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Like all things worthwhile, using a pump successfully takes practice. You will most likely have prob...
Will an insulin pump alert me if it isn’t working properly?
The pump is a marvel of technology:• It beeps if clogged.• It lets you know when the batteries run l...
What Is an Insulin Pump, and How Do I Know If I Need One?
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?