What should I consider when choosing an insulin pump?

There are several insulin pumps on the market today. Your doctor or diabetes educator may prefer one brand over the other. Ask for his or her thoughts on each model. Your best bet may be to talk to other people who use pumps. Find out what they like and what they don’t like about each model. Here are a few things you might want to know:
  • Is it waterproof? Some models are waterproof and can be submerged for up to 30 minutes. Other models are splash proof or water resistant. Check to see whether you can shower, swim, or dive into a pool with the model you want.
  • Can you adjust the basal rate for different times of day? Your pump can alter the rate up to 48 times a day. For example, your basal rate is likely to be greater from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. than during the rest of the day.
  • What kind of warranty does the manufacturer offer?
  • How often do you have to change the batteries? How easy are the batteries to find, and how expensive are they? Batteries usually last 2 to 4 months.
  • Do you want a pump that will help you calculate suggested doses based on your blood glucose level and carbohydrate intake?
A good source of product information, including insulin pumps, is the American Diabetes Association Consumer Guide. The Consumer Guide is published yearly by Diabetes Forecast, the members’ magazine of the American Diabetes Association. The Consumer Guide is also available online at forecast.diabetes.org/consumerguide.

Continue Learning about Insulin Pumps

Where should I put my insulin pump when I take a bath or shower?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Showering and bathing are instances when you should know where to put your insulin pump. Although in...
How can I maximize using my insulin pump for flexibility of doses?
A big advantage to using a pump is that you will have flexible insulin coverage for meals and snacks...
Can an Artificial Pancreas Treat Type 1 Diabetes?
What Is an Insulin Pump, and How Do I Know If I Need One?