What precautions should I take when using insulin syringes?

To inject your insulin, you may use disposable syringes. The syringe needles are short, thin, and very sharp. This helps the needles go in easily.

There are several different brands of insulin syringes. There are syringes with different needle lengths and different widths (gauges). Your doctor or diabetes educator will give you some syringes to take home. Eventually, you'll need to buy more. You need to keep the following in mind:
  • Look at the lines and numbers on the barrel of the syringe. These show the amount (dose) of insulin for each injection.
  • Don't reuse your insulin syringes. This helps ensure that the syringe is sterile (clean) and that the needle is very sharp every time.
  • Do throw them away in a red sharps container or another heavy container that the needles won't poke through -- like an empty coffee can or a plastic bleach container.

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

How long does insulin work after injection?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Insulin is usually classified as short- or fast-acting, intermediate-acting and long-acting. Short-a...
How should I put insulin into a syringe?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
"Drawing up insulin" means putting the insulin in the syringe for an injection. To get the right dos...
How do I use an insulin pen?
In addition to a syringe, your healthcare providers may have you use an insulin pen. Insulin pens ca...
How do insulin pumps compare to multiple daily injections?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
It is possible to have crappy control on either shots or pumps. It is also possible to have subl...