What should I do if I am having problems injecting insulin?

Talk to your doctor or your diabetes educator if you are having problems with any aspects of insulin injection. There are alternatives to injecting by syringe, such as an insulin pen or jet injector. And there are products available that make giving an injection easier. Ask your educator if you can try out some of the insulin-injection aids before you buy anything. This way you can see if any new product is right for you before you invest your money. Be sure to let them know as well if the injections are causing you a great deal of stress or anxiety.

Another good source of product information is the American Diabetes Association Consumer Guide published yearly by Diabetes Forecast, the members’ magazine of the American Diabetes Association. The Consumer Guide is also available online at forecast.diabetes.org/consumerguide.

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

What tips should I keep in mind when I inject insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Wherever you choose to inject your insulin, keep these basics in mind:• Divide the body area into in...
How can I make injecting insulin more comfortable?
Injecting insulin today is a lot less painful than it used to be. You can choose between disposable ...
How should I dispose of my syringe?
It's time to dispose of an insulin syringe when the needle is dull or bent or has come in contact wi...
What precautions should I take when using insulin syringes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To inject your insulin, you may use disposable syringes. The syringe needles are short, thin, an...