How can I reduce pain caused by diabetic needles and syringes?

Injecting yourself with cold insulin that has just been taken from your refrigerator will be more painful than if you allow the insulin bottle to warm at room temperature for 30 minutes before using it. Air bubbles can also make injections more painful. To get rid of air bubbles, tap the syringe and lightly push the plunger before removing it from the insulin bottle. Also relax your muscles and avoid rotating the needle when you insert or remove it. Finally, never re-use disposable needles because you can develop an infection.

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

What are the side effects of Symlin (pramlintide acetate)?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Some side effects of using Symlin (pramlintide acetate) are: Low blood sugar. Symlin is used wit...
Do I need to worry about insulin strength?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Today, if you buy insulin in the United States, you don’t have to worry about the strength. Nearly a...
How do insulin pumps compare to multiple daily injections?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
It is possible to have crappy control on either shots or pumps. It is also possible to have subl...
How do I use an insulin pen?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
In addition to a syringe, your healthcare providers may have you use an insulin pen. Insulin pens ca...