How often should I replace the needle on my insulin pen?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
The folks that make pen needles will tell you to use a fresh one each time you inject. The fact is you may or may not be able to use it again. It depends on how thick your hide is.

I can use a needle for about a week before it gets dull. I know one diabetic who can go a month. Some of my patients can only use a needle two or three times. How do you know when it is dull? When it hurts to take a shot.
The Born-Again Diabetic: The handbook to help you get your diabetes in control (again)

Much has been written about the explosion of diabetes on the world stage the 4,000 new cases a day we all know about, the millions of people unaware they have diabetes. But another epidemic is...

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

How should I put insulin into a syringe?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
"Drawing up insulin" means putting the insulin in the syringe for an injection. To get the right dos...
How should I inject myself with insulin?
You need to inject insulin just below the skin, into the fat layer -- not into a muscle or a blood v...
How do I get better coverage with my insulin injections?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You may get better coverage by splitting your one shot of insulin into two shots. These can be given...
How can I reduce pain caused by diabetic needles and syringes?
Injecting yourself with cold insulin that has just been taken from your refrigerator will be mor...