Do I need to worry about insulin strength?

Today, if you buy insulin in the United States, you don’t have to worry about the strength. Nearly all insulin preparations sold in the United States and Canada today are of the same strength: U-100. This means that they have 100 units of insulin in every cubic centimeter (cc) of fluid. U-500, a highly concentrated preparation, is available only by special order for people who have developed insulin resistance and need to take extremely high doses of insulin. Hospitals sometimes use U-500 insulin for emergencies.

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

How should I inject myself with insulin?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
You need to inject insulin just below the skin, into the fat layer -- not into a muscle or a blood v...
How should I dispose of my syringe?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
It's time to dispose of an insulin syringe when the needle is dull or bent or has come in contact wi...
How long does insulin work after injection?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Insulin is usually classified as short- or fast-acting, intermediate-acting and long-acting. Short-a...
What are diabetic needles and syringes?
Diabetic needles and syringes allow you to administer injectable liquid insulin to yourself. If ...