How do insulin pumps compare to multiple daily injections?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

It is possible to have crappy control on either shots or pumps. It is also possible to have sublime control on either pumps or shots.

For many, pumps do make it easier to keep their sugar in control, and that’s a good thing. But it is important to remember that the pump only replaces your pancreas, not your brain. You still have to think. This is a fancy, elegant insulin delivery device—not an automatic pancreas.

The Born-Again Diabetic: The handbook to help you get your diabetes in control (again)

Much has been written about the explosion of diabetes on the world stage the 4,000 new cases a day we all know about, the millions of people unaware they have diabetes. But another epidemic is...

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

What are the side effects of Symlin (pramlintide acetate)?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Some side effects of using Symlin (pramlintide acetate) are: Low blood sugar. Symlin is used wit...
Why do people fear insulin treatment?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
You are going to be surprised by my answer, but I can assure you that I am right. I have started ins...
What are diabetic needles and syringes?
Diabetic needles and syringes allow you to administer injectable liquid insulin to yourself. If ...
What should I do if I am having problems injecting insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Talk to your doctor or your diabetes educator if you are having problems with any aspects of insulin...