How can I safely reuse insulin syringes if I have diabetes?

Here are some tips to keep in mind when reusing insulin syringes:
  • Keep the needle clean by keeping it capped when you're not using it.
  • Never let the needle touch anything but clean skin and the top of the insulin bottle.
  • Never let anyone use a syringe you've already used, and don't use anyone else's syringe.
  • Cleaning it with alcohol removes the coating that helps the needle slide into the skin easily.

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

How should I inject myself with insulin?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
You need to inject insulin just below the skin, into the fat layer -- not into a muscle or a blood v...
How does a jet injector for insulin use work?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Jet injectors push the insulin out so fast that it acts like a liquid needle, passing insulin direct...
How do I use an insulin pen?
In addition to a syringe, your healthcare providers may have you use an insulin pen. Insulin pens ca...
What tips should I keep in mind when I inject insulin?
Wherever you choose to inject your insulin, keep these basics in mind:• Divide the body area into in...