How does a jet injector for insulin use work?

Jet injectors push the insulin out so fast that it acts like a liquid needle, passing insulin directly through the skin. If you fear needles or take several injections each day, a jet injector may be a possibility.

The downside is that jet injectors are expensive and may not accurately deliver the insulin dose. Check with your insurer about whether it will cover the cost of this device. Although you will save on the cost of needles and syringes, there may be a hefty initial cost. Ask to test a jet injector before buying. Bruising can be a problem, especially in thin people, children, and the elderly, all of whom have less fat under the skin. Jet injectors also need to be cleaned on a regular basis. Ask your doctor, diabetes educator, and others you know who have used
them what they think of jet injectors before deciding.

Continue Learning about Insulin Injections

How long does insulin work after injection?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Insulin is usually classified as short- or fast-acting, intermediate-acting and long-acting. Short-a...
Why do people fear insulin treatment?
You are going to be surprised by my answer, but I can assure you that I am right. I have started ins...
How do I use an insulin pen?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
In addition to a syringe, your healthcare providers may have you use an insulin pen. Insulin pens ca...
What are diabetic needles and syringes?
Diabetic needles and syringes allow you to administer injectable liquid insulin to yourself. If ...