What can I do to prevent insomnia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Depending on the cause of your short-term insomnia, it may be possible to prevent it. Some prescription and over-the-counter medications can cause insomnia. If you think your medication might be the problem, talk to your doctor about alternative medications. It may also be helpful to make lifestyle changes such as reducing stress, keeping regular hours, working during the day, being active, and avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. Sleeping in a dark, quiet place may also help you avoid insomnia.

Continue Learning about Insomnia

How can a veteran treat insomnia without medication?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you are a veteran with chronic insomnia (trouble sleeping most nights for a period of a month or ...
How safe are insomnia medications for seniors?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Many of the common medications for insomnia are not appropriate nor safe for seniors. Over-the-count...
What should I know before taking eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
If you are over age 65, eszopiclone may not be a good option for you. If you have asthma, chronic o...
What Should I Know Before Using Melatonin Supplements?