What can I do if I have trouble sleeping?

If your sleep problems persist for longer than a week and are bothersome, or if sleepiness interferes with the way you feel or function during the day, a healthcare professional's help may be needed. To get the most out of your appointment, you'll find that it is helpful to keep a diary of your sleep habits for about 10 days to identify just how much sleep you're getting over time and what you may be doing to interfere with it.
Even New York Yankees infielder Derek Jeter has something to ask Dr. Mehmet Oz, Vice-Chair and Professor of Surgery at Columbia University! "I have a question for you about lack of sleep. Here's the problem. It used to be one of my strengths, sleeping, but I don't know what happened," he says. "I tried everything. I mean, I'm up till three o’clock, four o’clock in the morning. I've tried watching TV. I've tried reading books. I don't know what the answer is. I'm tossing. I'm turning. This is pretty much an everyday thing."

What's Dr. Oz's number-one rule for sleeping better? "For four or five hours before you go to bed, you shouldn't have any caffeine," he says. "Remember that being asleep is a natural state. You're supposed to be asleep. There are chemicals that actually jazz you up."

Also cut out late-night TV, Dr. Oz says. "Watching TV is the worst thing to do late at night, because it gets you psyched up again. Plus, the bright lights keep you awake."

If you still can't sleep, do what your mother always told you to do and drink some milk. "It's got a little bit of protein, including something called tryptophan, which becomes melatonin and serotonin," he says. "But you need a little bit of insulin to get it into your brain. So milk's got a little bit of sugar in it that stimulates insulin, so it gets into your brain. That's why milk works."

If you often travel to different time zones, like Jeter does, Dr. Oz says to stay on a regular schedule. "No matter what time your game was, go to sleep at the exact same time. It makes a big difference because at least your circadian rhythm is functioning the way it needs to."

Continue Learning about Insomnia

4 Ways to Get Better Sleep Without Medication
Insomnia (trouble getting more than three days of restful sleep a week for three out of four weeks) drove Michael Jackson to desperate measures. If it...
How do medications treat chronic insomnia?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
The primary treatment for chronic insomnia is cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I), whi...
Put Insomnia to Bed
Put Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to Bed
Try these 8 med-free ways to get some sleep.
Are You Getting Too Much Sleep?
Are You Getting Too Much Sleep?