How safe are insomnia medications for seniors?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Many of the common medications for insomnia are not appropriate nor safe for seniors. Over-the-counter sleep aids have diphenhydramine as the main ingredient, which can be dangerous for the older adult as it causes greater incidence of cognitive impairment, of falling and of car accidents.

The side effects of diphenhydramine on a person's cognition can cause lingering sedation and an increased risk of falls. Falling comes with consequences including hip fractures, head traumas and shoulder injuries. These are not injuries you recover from easily and can take you from being high functioning to being dependent on others for your care.

Don't try to treat insomnia with over-the-counter medications. Continue talking with your doctor until you have found a solution.

Continue Learning about Insomnia

Proven Ways to Break the Anxiety-Insomnia Cycle
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, 7 out of 10 adults in the U.S. report that they feel symptoms of stress and anxiety on...
What can I do if I have trouble sleeping?
If your sleep problems persist for longer than a week and are bothersome, or if sleepiness interfere...
Put Insomnia to Bed
Put Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to Bed
Try these 8 med-free ways to get some sleep.
What Should I Know Before Using Melatonin Supplements?