How do medications treat chronic insomnia?

The primary treatment for chronic insomnia is cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I), which is effective over the long-term and has no known significant side effects. CBT-I involves a combination of behavioral modification, such as setting a consistent sleep schedule and getting out of bed when you are struggling to sleep, with cognitive strategies, such as replacing unrealistic fears about sleeplessness with more helpful expectations. CBT-I recommendations are customized to address each patient’s individual needs and symptoms. However, your doctor may decide if medication is best for you. You should only take a medication when supervised by a doctor.

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Sleep Medicine website.

There are several treatment options for chronic insomnia. Your doctor may prescribe a medication that helps you get to sleep or stay asleep longer. Over-the-counter medications are also available, but these may be ineffective or pose risks to some people. If the cause of your insomnia is an underlying medical condition, a doctor might be able to treat the condition and get rid of the insomnia by doing so. If the cause is stress or anxiety, cognitive-behavioral therapy might help offer relief. Lifestyle changes such as keeping regular hours or not drinking caffeine may also help.

Continue Learning about Insomnia

4 Ways to Get Better Sleep Without Medication
Insomnia (trouble getting more than three days of restful sleep a week for three out of four weeks) drove Michael Jackson to desperate measures. If it...
What is chronic insomnia?
Chronic insomnia occurs most nights and lasts one month or more. Around 48% of Americans experience ...
Put Insomnia to Bed
Put Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to BedPut Insomnia to Bed
Try these 8 med-free ways to get some sleep.
What Are Natural Treatments for Insomnia?