Which types of encephalitis are caused by mosquito bites?

Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), while a relatively rare condition in the United States, is one of the more serious conditions that a person can get from a mosquito bite. Roughly 30% of people who become infected do not survive. Usually, its symptoms appear three to 10 days after a bite, and signs include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, light sensitivity, weakness, confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness.

La Crosse encephalitis virus (LCAV) occurs most often in the midwestern, mid-Atlantic and southeastern states. The infection can become serious when left untreated, sometimes resulting in dysfunction of the nervous system. It rarely results in death. Symptoms of LCAV include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting and fatigue.

Despite its regional name, Saint Louis encephalitis virus (SLEV) occurs throughout most of the country. Upon infection, many people are initially asymptomatic. Mild cases usually include a headache and fever, while more severe infections cause headache, extreme fever, stiffness in the neck, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions and paralysis.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
Should I be worried about spider bites?
Lots of people get freaked out by spiders -- and spider bites -- but Dr. Oz Show guest David Miz...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?