Which diseases are spread by mosquitoes?

There are multiple diseases spread by mosquitoes. Some of the more well-known diseases are malaria, Dengue Fever, Yellow Fever and West Nile virus. Others include Eastern equine encephalitis, Japanese encephalitis, La Crosse encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis and Rift Valley Fever.
Mosquitoes are one of summer's biggest annoyances, but their impact may be even more significant than an itchy bite because these pests sometimes carry serious diseases.

The most common mosquito-borne illnesses in the United States include Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), La Crosse encephalitis virus (LACV), Saint Louis encephalitis virus (SLEV) and the West Nile virus. (Many Americans associate malaria with mosquitoes, but the disease doesn't make a significant impact on the U.S. population.)

In general, encephalitis is a viral infection characterized by brain inflammation. Transmission through mosquitoes is just one way the virus is spread.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
How do bed bugs attack humans?
Bed bugs hunt for a bare patch of skin and then hunker down to fill up before dawn. Someone who has ...
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Learn about what you can do to protect yourself from different types of insect bites and stings -- and get quick tips on to do you’re bitten.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?