Where should I look for bed bugs in my house?

Bed bugs hide in dark spots where they're unlikely to be disturbed. When you hunt for them, you may not see live bugs, so keep an eye out for their calling cards: rust-colored spots (blood stains), eggs (pearly white and 1 millimeter long), molted skins and black specks. Here's where to look  from them at home:

• The boxspring: Lift it up and look underneath and along the seams. In some cases, professionals will slice open the cloth to look inside, because the bugs love the wood frame.

• Nearby furniture: Inspect sofas, the undersides of bureau drawers, behind the headboard, and the backs and undersides of nightstands. Pay special attention to cracks, crevices, and seams.

• On the wall: Peek under picture frames, wall hangings, peeling wallpaper or chipped paint.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
What can I do to get rid of bedbugs?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
You can vacuum your mattress and box springs thoroughly every week (more often if possible).  Yo...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?