What are signs of a brown recluse spider bite?

The bite of the brown recluse spider may produce little or no pain initially. Pain in the area of the bite develops an hour or more later. A blood-filled blister forms under the surface of the skin, sometimes in a target or bull’s-eye pattern. Over time, the blister increases in size and eventually ruptures, leading to tissue destruction and a black scab.
Jonathon E. Pangia, DO
Emergency Medicine
You probably won’t see the spider bite, but you will experience symptoms. Brown recluse bites may cause a lot of necrosis, or tissue death, in a form of very nasty ulcer. This is why many abscesses are mistaken for brown recluse bites. They look very similar because of the very large area of death and sometimes pus formation.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
What are insect bites?
Insect bites are the reactions that occur when a bug has bitten you. In general, insect bites are no...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?