What is a scorpion?

Scorpions are small, eight-legged animals. They're related to spiders, and have two front claws and a tail with a stinger at the end. While some scorpions are severly poisonous (even deadly), most scorpions living in North America are not. But even non-deadly scorpions can cause a sting, and some deadly ones can be found in the deserts of the southwestern US. Symptoms of a mild scorpion sting include tingling, burning or stinging where the sting occurred. Symptoms of a severe sting include:
  • Double vision
  • Breathing problems or fast breathing
  • Throat spasms, drooling and a thick-feeling tongue
  • Muscle spasms
  • Convulsions or seizures
  • Paralysis (inability to move or breathe)
  • Loss of bladder or bowel control

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
Should I be worried about spider bites?
Lots of people get freaked out by spiders -- and spider bites -- but Dr. Oz Show guest David Miz...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?