What are bedbugs?

Randolph P. Martin, MD
Bed bugs are blood suckers that enjoy the scent of carbon dioxide that humans give off. Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Randy P. Martin about the history of bed bugs.
Susan Evans
Dermatology
Bedbugs are small insects that when full grown are about the size and color of an apple seed. They feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals, including humans. Their flat body makes it difficult to see them when they hide.
Bedbugs are insects that rely on the blood of humans or animals to survive. As babies, they are tiny as pinheads. A full-grown adult that's been making a nightly meal of you can balloon to the size of Lincoln's head on the penny. These little parasites are nocturnal and hate light, so they wait until the dark to creep out for their meals, which is why it can take so long to discover you've been sharing your home with them.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
Are tick bites the same as insect bites?
Tick bites are not insect bites because ticks are not technically insects (they are more closely rel...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?