Is it safe to use DEET to prevent insect bites?

DEET, a pesticide, is contained within many insect repellents and is generally considered safe to use. However, pesticides can be toxic, so it's important to take some precautions. A 5 percent DEET repellent will provide between one and two hours of protection, while 25 percent DEET will last for about five hours. Use only as much DEET as necessary, and do not reapply if you do not need it. Be sure to keep DEET off hands, as it can be toxic to ingest. DEET should also not be used on infants.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
What increases my risk for insect bites?
Spending time where the bugs are increases your risk for insect bites. For most bugs, that's spendin...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?