How do bed bugs attack humans?

Bed bugs hunt for a bare patch of skin and then hunker down to fill up before dawn. Someone who has a serious infestation could be bitten as many as 500 times per night. More often, you might see several bites clustered in one spot. Doctors call this "breakfast, lunch, and dinner," because the bugs are cramming all their meals into a short span of time.

You will likely call it a very itchy rash, because the saliva of bed bugs causes an allergic reaction in many people. Though some people have no response, others can develop asthma, or in very rare cases, life-threatening anaphylactic shock.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
How common are insect bites?
Insect bites can be very common, depending on the insect. You could go your entire life without gett...
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Learn about what you can do to protect yourself from different types of insect bites and stings -- and get quick tips on to do you’re bitten.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?