What kind of effective, natural mosquito repellant can I use?

There are more than a few natural mosquito repellants out there to consider. You might not find them as effective as DEET repellents, but they’re certainly worth a shot. Just be aware that more frequent application is usually required so make sure you have an adequate supply. If you’re do-it-yourself oriented, go with a homemade potion of essential plant oils. Just dilute the oil — lemon eucalyptus, cinnamon, citronella, lemongrass, clove and rosemary oils, all are said to send mosquitoes packing with alcohol or a carrier oil and apply. Sample different oils before you leave to make sure none of them irritate your skin.

Since mixing and matching essential oils might not be the most travel-friendly option, you can also consider the numerous commercially available DEET-free mosquito repellents that contain the essential oils listed above as well as other natural ingredients. One to use is USDA Certified Organic Anti-Bug Badger Balm. The balm contains a potent mix of citronella, rosemary, lemongrass, cedar and geranium oils and smells nice. Another choice is BiteBlocker, a popular natural repellent that is available in all shapes and sizes: spray, lotion and even snap bracelet.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
What are bedbugs?
Bedbugs are insects that rely on the blood of humans or animals to survive. As babies, they are tiny...
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?