Do insect bites affect children differently than adults?

In general, there may not be much of a difference, but that's not always the case. With mosquito bites, for example, adults can become less affected by the irritation in bites than children. Children can also be more susceptible to some insect bites - the close quarters and sharing of school make it easier to spread lice, and the active, outdoor nature of many children's summer vacations may make them more prone to mosquito bites.

The only difference between adults and children and insect bites is that adults have a history and know how they will react, while children do not. Insect and spider bites typically cause mild pain, itching, redness, and swelling. However, some people may have more severe allergic reactions to bites and stings, which can affect breathing and can be life-threatening. Children should therefore always be monitored until their reactions are known to caregivers.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
How do I dispose of an item that is infested with bedbugs?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Any item of furniture that is infested, please dispose of it properly. If you place it out on th...
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Insect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to WorryInsect Bites and Stings: How to Prevent and When to Worry
Learn about what you can do to protect yourself from different types of insect bites and stings -- and get quick tips on to do you’re bitten.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?