Can DEET be used to prevent insect bites in children?

DEET is the most effect preventer of mosquito bites. It comes in many forms. There is the rare chance that excess DEET use could lead to toxicity in children. This is more likely in young children who have tender skin that can absorb more DEET. For this reason, do not use maximum strength DEET products in infants and young children. DEET can also be used on clothing to keep mosquitos away.

In general, DEET should be safe to use on children. However, there may be age restrictions, so look at your particular insect repellent bottle carefully. If there are no age restrictions listed, it has been deemed safe by the EPA to use on all ages. You should still exercise caution with infants, though. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that DEET not be used on infants younger than two months old. In addition, be sure to keep the DEET off children's hands as they are more likely to stick them in their mouth.

Continue Learning about Insect Bites

The Do’s and Don’ts of Avoiding the Fire Ant
In the 2015 movie Ant-Man, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) develops an armored suit that can shrink someone to the size of an ant and give that tiny cr...
Do bug bombs kill bedbugs?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Bug bombs do not work on bedbugs! If they did, these pesky things wouldn’t be such a problem.
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite4 Types of People Mosquitos Love to Bite
Learn why some people are more susceptible to mosquito bites.
How Can I Protect Myself From Mosquitoes?