When should I seek emergency help for an abrasion?

Reasons to seek emergency help for an abrasion (scrape):
  • The abrasion is very dirty or messy. A professional will need to clean it thoroughly, especially if it contains embedded gravel or other foreign material. A thorough cleaning, which is necessary to reduce the chance of scarring or infection, may require pain-reducing medications.
  • The abrasion is the result of a serious injury or an accident.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

Why Isn’t This Wound Healing?
Why Isn’t This Wound Healing?
Do you have a wound that seems to be taking forever to heal? If it's been a month or even longer, it could be a sign of a more serious issue. By defi...
Why should I be cautious in extreme heat?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You should be cautious in extreme heat because exposure to excessive heat can lead to heat emergenci...
When should I seek treatment for a wound that isn't healing?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
As soon as you realize a wound isn't healing, you should seek treatment. The sooner treatment begins...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?