When is a mouth injury an emergency?

A mouth injury can become an emergency if there is: 
  • uncontrolled bleeding
  • teeth that have fallen out that can be replaced quickly (there's a 30-minute window for this)
  • lacerations, or jagged, broken teeth that can lacerate the tongue or lips and other oral tissues
  • a broken jaw
Hospitals don't really treat dental and mouth injuries. If in question, call your dentist. It's never a bad thing to err on the side of caution.
Injuries to the mouth may cause breathing problems if blood or loose teeth block the airway.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

Why Isn’t This Wound Healing?
Why Isn’t This Wound Healing?
Do you have a wound that seems to be taking forever to heal? If it's been a month or even longer, it could be a sign of a more serious issue. By defi...
When should I call my doctor if I have an abrasion?
Reasons to call a healthcare professional for an abrasion: If infection sets in. (This will take a...
What is a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In a closed wound, the skin’s surface is not broken; therefore, tissue damage and any bleeding o...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?