When should I call my doctor if I have an abrasion?

Reasons to call a healthcare professional for an abrasion:
  • If infection sets in. (This will take at least 24 hours. The signs of infection are redness on uninjured area around wound; increased tenderness; thick, white or yellow-green pus; red streaks; swelling; warmth in the area; or a fever.)
  • If the abrasion doesn't heal in 2 weeks.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults older than age 65, a fall could be life-threatening—and the rate of fatalities from falls in this age group is on the rise, accord...
If my child cuts themself, how do I know if they need stitches?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
This is a tricky question. If you are unsure of what to do apply direct pressure to the wound with a...
How are submersion injuries treated?
The most important step to caring for submersion injuries is to seek emergency care and to call ...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?