What are types of heat-related illnesses?

Brett Snodgrass
Oncology Nursing Specialist

Heat related illnesses include: heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Heat stroke can lead to death.

The types of heat illnesses are a continuum, just like in any disease process. At one end of the continuum are the very mild disorders. These include minor illnesses such as heat edema or leg swelling, which occur when you're out in the heat. Also included here is heat rash or prickly heat, which is well-known.

Further in the continuum, much more severe illness from exposure to heat can occur, namely heat exhaustion. In the more severe heat illness, heatstroke, fatalities can arise from serious heat exhaustion.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

Headache, Clammy Skin and Other Dangerous Signs You’re Overheating
When a hurricane devastates a tropical island, a wildfire whips through a mountainside neighborhood or a superstorm rocks an oceanfront city, most new...
When should I call my doctor if I have an abrasion?
Reasons to call a healthcare professional for an abrasion: If infection sets in. (This will take a...
How can an injury in one body part affect the rest of the body?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
The toe bone is connected to the foot bone, and the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone, an...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?