What is an open chest wound?

Open chest wounds occur when an object, such as a knife or bullet, penetrates the chest wall. Fractured ribs may break through the skin to cause an open chest injury.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

How to Care for a Wound That Won’t Heal
How to Care for a Wound That Won’t Heal
How quickly any wound heals depends on a number of factors, including your age, diet, medications, and health status. There’s also the wound itself: W...
What is a closed chest wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A closed chest wound does not break the skin. Closed chest wounds generally are caused by blunt ...
Where will I feel pain if I injure my liver?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If you have a liver injury, you may feel pain in the upper right side of the abdomen. You may al...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?