What should I do if my child’s finger or toe is cut off?

If a finger or toe has been cut off (gruesome, but it happens), apply pressure to the wound, then place a cloth, towel, or plastic bag around the body part and ice it. Make sure it isn’t directly touching the ice and is protected. The body part can probably be reattached if the surgery’s done within six hours.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

How to Care for a Wound That Won’t Heal
How to Care for a Wound That Won’t Heal
How quickly any wound heals depends on a number of factors, including your age, diet, medications, and health status. There’s also the wound itself: W...
How should I care for an open abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With a severe open injury, abdominal organs sometimes protrude through the wound. [media id="4...
How can I prevent heat exhaustion?
When the summer sun begins to heat up your exercise habits, be sure to let your body adjust to your ...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?