How can I reduce my risk of falling?

Henry McCann, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

To avoid falls it is certainly important to be sure your home is safe. For example, be sure that floors are picked up well, and that furniture is placed so you don't have to walk around it when going through rooms. Throw rugs can be removed or secured to the floor with non-stick backing so they do not slip. Electric cords can be taped down, or should be placed along walls and not across rooms.

Different types of exercise can also be helpful in preventing falls. Taiji (also spelled T'ai Chi) is a type of gentle exercised developed from a powerful Chinese martial art. Several studies have shown that Taiji practice can improve balance and reduce fall risk in older patients.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults older than age 65, a fall could be life-threatening—and the rate of fatalities from falls in this age group is on the rise, accord...
How can I know if I have a kidney injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Signs and symptoms of a kidney injury include throwing up or feeling like throwing up, rigid or ...
How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a foreign body is embedded in a wound, it's important to seek immediate medical attention. Learn ...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?