How can tissue expansion help if I have a severe wound?

Ross Rudolph, MD
Plastic Surgery
Tissue expansion can help the body grow additional skin to cover a wound. Often used for breast reconstruction, a balloon expander gradually stretches the skin, and the extra tissue is used for the procedure. Tissue expansion requires patience, since it can take a couple of months for the new tissue to grow.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults older than age 65, a fall could be life-threatening—and the rate of fatalities from falls in this age group is on the rise, accord...
When should I call my doctor if I have an abrasion?
Reasons to call a healthcare professional for an abrasion: If infection sets in. (This will take a...
What is a puncture wound to the chest?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Puncture wounds to the chest range from minor to life threatening. Stab and gunshot wounds are examp...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?