How do I know if my wound is infected?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Germs which are called bacteria are present on the skin. Any opening in the skin (wound) can allow the bacteria to travel into the opening (wound).  Some of the common signs and symptoms of a possible wound infection are redness and warmth around the area of the wound, a noticeable wound odor, an increase in pain in the wound, fever, noticeable swelling (edema), pus (may be white, yellow, or brown), an increase in wound discharge (exudates), the wound bleeds very easy, and/or no progress towards wound healing. The bacteria’s movement into a wound is considered a wound infection when the bacteria overpower the person’s protected (immune) response, and causes the body to react in different ways. To diagnosis the wound as an infection your clinician will examine the wounds signs and symptoms, and use the laboratory findings to support the diagnosis.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Occasionally, a wound may become infected. Signs of infection include redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling, a temperature above 100 degrees and a bad odor. If you experience any sign of infection, you should contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

what could happen if i get hit in the sternum ?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A direct blow to the sternum may result in a heart contusion. This occurs when the heart is comp...
what is a closed chest wound ?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A closed chest wound does not break the skin. Closed chest wounds generally are caused by blunt ...
where will i feel pain if i injure my liver ?
If you have a liver injury, you may feel pain in the upper right side of the abdomen. You may al...
how can i prevent heat exhaustion ?
When the summer sun begins to heat up your exercise habits, be sure to let your body adjust to your ...