How can I deal with itching as my wound heals?

Challenge America
Administration
During the healing process, the skin undergoes many changes.  Itching (pruritus) becomes common problem as the skin tightens and pulls and layers of new skin appear.Itching is more common with second-degree burns or when skin grafts have been put on the wound. The healing skin may feel dry, hot, and itchy and cause problems staying focused on projects or sleeping. Treatment may include over-the-counter antihistamines such as Benadryl as well as massage and cold packs on the wound. Sometimes topical ointments, including emollients, are recommended to calm the skin itching. If the inflamed skin and itching is new, then it’s time to call the doctor and have the burn checked. Your doctor can best guide you in how to treat the itching.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

Injuries, Wound and Trauma

Injuries, Wound and Trauma

The normal course of daily living ensures that at some point we will injure ourselves. The body is great at healing minor injuries, and first-aid basics will help keep injuries from becoming serious or infected. As we move up to m...

ore serious injuries, again knowing what to do first is important, even if follow-up care must be done by a medic or hospital emergency room. It's always better to prevent injury if you can. Pay attention to hazards that can cause falls. In the kitchen use cutting blocks and sharp knives - they are safer because you use less pressure while cutting.