If my child cuts themself, how do I know if they need stitches?

If your child's cut is gaping open or continuously bleeding, then your child will likely need stitches. In this video, Tanya Altmann, MD, pediatrician, discusses the different ways to treat your child's wounds.
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
This is a tricky question. If you are unsure of what to do apply direct pressure to the wound with a clean gauze and call your pediatrician.
Here are some examples of cuts that should be seen by a doctor without delay:
  • A cut that is large and/or deep and/or dirty.
  • A cut that involves a broken bone or tendon injury. Sometimes you can see the bone or tendon. Other times the finger or limb looks abnormal or won't move.
  • Cuts that won't stop bleeding despite direct pressure. 
  • Cuts with bits of glass or other foreign objects in the wound. 
  • Cuts that involve the eyes, mouth and teeth.

Continue Learning about Injuries, Wound and Trauma

Why Isn’t This Wound Healing?
Why Isn’t This Wound Healing?
Do you have a wound that seems to be taking forever to heal? If it's been a month or even longer, it could be a sign of a more serious issue. By defi...
How can a heavy purse be bad for me?
A heavy purse can be a serious health hazard. In this video, Dr. Oz reveals what a heavy purse c...
What are some negative consequences of hate crimes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Hate crimes can have tremendously negative effects on societies. They can marginalize communities wh...
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?