Should I be worried about ingrown nails?

Usually, though they can be uncomfortable, ingrown nails are not a big worry. The main thing to do is to get prompt treatment so you do not experience complications. This is especially true if you are diabetic. You can also take steps to minimize your discomfort.

In the early stages, ingrown toenails usually do not present a serious medical problem and can often be treated at home. If, however, your pain is severe or your skin is broken, you are at risk for infection and should see your doctor.  You may need oral antibiotics to clear an infection or, in severe cases, surgical repair of the nail.

People with diabetes or nerve damage or circulation problems in their feet should see their doctor at the first sign of an ingrown toenail. Those conditions can put you at greater risk for infection. 

Continue Learning about Ingrown Nails

What are the symptoms of ingrown nails?
The symptoms of ingrown nails include redness combined with warmth, pain, and swelling in your toe. ...
Should I talk to my doctor about ingrown nails?
Talk to your doctor about ingrown nails if you are experiencing any pain, discomfort, or swelling in...
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?