What are my chances of ingrown nails?

Your chances of ingrown nails are much higher if you wear ill-fitting shoes that squeeze or pinch your toes. Cutting your toenails below the top edge of your toes or trimming them in a rounded fashion rather than straight across can also raise your chances of getting an ingrown nail. Also, if you happen to have naturally profoundly curved toenails, your chances of getting an ingrown nail are higher than if your toenails were straighter.

Ingrown nails are a very common condition. They occur when your nail curves inward and presses into (or punctures) the skin surrounding your nail. Anyone can get them, though they are more common in people who have a family history of them. Experts say you can reduce your chances of developing ingrown nails by doing the following:
  • Trim your nails straight across and not too short. Experts say you should be able to get a fingernail under the end of the nail.
  • Wear shoes that fit properly (not too tight and not too loose).
  • Wear steel-toed shoes if you work in an environment where your feet can be hurt.
  • Visit a podiatrist for nail clipping if you have a condition such as diabetes or nerve damage or poor circulation in your feet, which puts you at greater risk for complications from ingrown nails.

Continue Learning about Ingrown Nails

Should I be worried about ingrown nails?
Usually, though they can be uncomfortable, ingrown nails are not a big worry. The main thing to do i...
What are symptoms of an ingrown toenail?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
An ingrown toenail develops when the side of the nail digs into the skin. Symptoms of ingrown to...
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?