How are ingrown nails diagnosed?

At first, an ingrown toenail may feel hard, swollen, and tender. If left untreated, the toenail may become red and more swollen and painful and you may see discharge (pus) around the nail. If you're experiencing pain or redness, then the nail has likely become infected. See a doctor for treatment of an ingrown toenail.
Ingrown nails can generally be diagnosed with a simple physical exam during a doctor's visit. Your doctor will check your nail and surrounding flesh for swelling, redness, and other signs of the problem. If the ingrown nail is not too deep, a physician can remove the nail and the root of the section, or carefully lift the nail away from the skin and place sterile material beneath it until your symptoms disappear.

Continue Learning about Ingrown Nails

What do I need to know about caring for someone with ingrown nails?
Be on the lookout for signs of infection if you are caring for someone with ingrown nails. If the pe...
Can ingrown nails have any complications?
Ingrown toenails are common and treatable, but they can be quite painful and cause swelling and ...
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
What Can I Do to Avoid Ingrown Nails?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?