What is Behçet's disease?

Behcet’s disease is a very rare, chronic inflammatory disease whose cause is not well understood. People with Behcet’s disease develop recurrent ulcerations in the mouth and on the genitals, and lesions elsewhere on the skin; arthritis; and inflammation of the eye and bowel. When the disease affects the central nervous system, people can develop meningitis (inflammation of the membranes of the brain and spinal cord), cranial nerve palsies, memory loss, and impaired speech, balance, and movement. Behcet’s is less common in the United States than in the Middle East and Asia.

Continue Learning about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

The Unexpected Ways IBD Can Affect Your Health and Well-Being
Aside from uncomfortable and inconvenient symptoms, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can affect many aspects of one’s health—from their self-confidenc...
Why should I continue to be treated for IBD if I am feeling better?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The goals of the treatments for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are first to get you feeling better...
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Strategies to help you reduce inflammation, avoid flares, and stay healthy.
What Is Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)?