What are integrin receptor antagonists?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Vedolizumab (Entyvio) and natalizumab (Tysabri) are biologic drugs called integrin receptor antagonists, used to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). These drugs block certain immune system processes that promote inflammation and damage intestines. They are given by injection.

Both of these drugs are approved by the FDA for treating active Crohn's disease in adults. Vedolizumab is also approved for treating active ulcerative colitis in adults. These drugs are used for people whose IBD has not been controlled with other drugs, such as corticosteroids, thiopurines, or TNF inhibitors, or for those who cannot take the other drugs due to side effects. Neither drug is approved for treatment of children. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Tips for Coping with the Infodemic When You Have IBD
One of the challenges of living in the new normal of the COVID-19 pandemic is the overwhelming amount of information. At various times during the pand...
How can I change my diet when I have active inflammatory bowel disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
You can modify your diet when you are having active inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) by eating small...
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Strategies to help you reduce inflammation, avoid flares, and stay healthy.
Does Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Increase My Risk of Colon Cancer?