What are integrin receptor antagonists?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Practitioner

Vedolizumab (Entyvio) and natalizumab (Tysabri) are biologic drugs called integrin receptor antagonists, used to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). These drugs block certain immune system processes that promote inflammation and damage intestines. They are given by injection.

Both of these drugs are approved by the FDA for treating active Crohn's disease in adults. Vedolizumab is also approved for treating active ulcerative colitis in adults. These drugs are used for people whose IBD has not been controlled with other drugs, such as corticosteroids, thiopurines, or TNF inhibitors, or for those who cannot take the other drugs due to side effects. Neither drug is approved for treatment of children. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

avoiding stress-induced ibd flares
avoiding stress-induced ibd flares
st es can ave nume ous negat ve i pac t on our eal h, and for eo "understanding the remission and relapse cycle le l i Crohn disease . " j . e ....
Read More
can inflammatory bowel disease ( ibd ) affect other parts of my body ?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can cause a number of problems outside of the digestive tract. A...
More Answers
what medications can interact with aminosalicylates ?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine has caused Reye syndrome, a serious illness that can affect the brain...
More Answers
what are the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease ( ibd ) ?
what are the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease ( ibd ) ?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.